Week 4, May 2021
“The path to the CEO’s office should not be through the CFO’s office, and it should not be through the marketing department. It needs to be through engineering and design.” — Elon Musk
● The AirTag’s built-in NFC coil can be used by the Apple Shortcuts app to trigger automations, it has been found. As Shortcuts are completely user-configurable and can be used to initiate an almost infinite number of actions, the fact that the AirTag can be used to trigger automations opens up new possibilities for automating HomeKit scenes, app behavior, and more.
● Apple today updated its Platform Security Guide with in-depth security information about the new Magic Keyboard with Touch ID, the ability to unlock an iPhone with an Apple Watch while wearing a mask, and more.
● Apple is working on new wire-free in-ear Beats-branded earbuds. The Beats Studio Buds are unlike any prior Beats headphones that Apple has released as there is no ear wrap as with the Powerbeats Pro or a wire like the Powerbeats. The Beats Studio Buds are tiny in design and are similar to in-ear earbuds from companies like Samsung and Google.
● Apple today announced that starting in June, Apple Music songs will be available to stream in Lossless and Hi-Resolution Lossless formats, but lossless audio won’t be supported on the AirPods, AirPods Max, or AirPods Pro.
● Apple today seeded the release candidate version of an upcoming macOS Big Sur 11.4 update to developers for testing purposes, with the new beta coming two weeks after the release of the third macOS Big Sur 11.4 beta.
● Following the release of iOS 14.5 to the public last month, multiple apps began asking users to enable the App Tracking option. With the latest version of the Twitter app for iOS, users are now being asked to enable tracking in order to receive “relevant ads.”
● Apple Music officially announced that it is bringing lossless music quality options to its entire catalog at no extra cost, starting in June. Apple says lossless quality will be available for more than 75 million tracks in the Apple Music library. It is also launching support for Spatial Audio music with songs authored in Dolby Atmos.
● Alongside the new 2021 iPad Pro models, Apple also debuted a new version of its Magic Keyboard accessory in white for the first time. The white keys could also offer an early look at what to expect from a future MacBook design.
● WhatsApp for iOS is developing a disappearing mode to focus on privacy. This feature will enable chat history to be erased after the user reads the message. Starting May 15, users will eventually lose access to some WhatsApp features until they accept the new terms.
● Apple Watch can help you stay motivated to exercise and improve your health and smart scales that sync data to the iPhone can be a fun and useful way to track your progress. If you want to easily collect your weight and other measurement data in the Health app on iPhone, the trick is to find a scale that works with HealthKit. Take a look at some of the current options on the market.